Sunday, January 24, 2010

Arlen's running again



I have been voting for Arlen Specter my entire life. And so have my parents, and their fathers before them. Women didn’t have the vote until 1919 so that is why my grandmothers didn’t vote for him early on.
Some people say he is an opportunist but I don’t care what party he belongs to. The Trouts voted for him when he was a Republican, when he was a Prohibitionist, and they will vote for him now that he is a Democrat. Personally I don't care. I became a fan of his when he created his “Wall of Sound” back in the early 1960s. He created that dense, layered, and reverberant music that sounded so great on AM radio and at the jukebox at Mickey’s Fountainette. I would play his quintessential hit, “Be My Baby,” over and over again until old man Mickey himself would throw me out of the Fountainette. That is why I am a Specter supporter. The man is musical genius.
Quite an accomplishment for a senator who has held his seat since the days of Boies Penrose. While laying claim to being the only Senator inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he also made quite a name for himself heading all of those assassination investigation committees. Huey Long, John Kennedy, the Tellarite Ambassador on the Star Trek series and the Notorious B.I.G, just to name a few. An assassination just wasn’t an assassination unless Arlen got to investigate it somehow. His most controversial investigation was into the mysterious death of the Werewolf of London back in the 1950s. Working together with British intelligence he concocted the theory that the werewolf was killed by a single silver bullet. Books have been written about that ever since. As for me, I haven’t made my mind up yet.
He has always been in the papers causing a stir. I remember the time that he sat on the committee investigating whether Benny Hill was being harassed by Danny Thomas, the Supreme Court nominee. Hill was sent packing and Thomas now sits on the court.
Then there was the time that Arlen got to sit in judgment on Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial. Everyone looked up to him on that one since he was the only Senator to have been on three separate impeachment committees – Andrew Johnson’s, Richard Nixon’s and Bill Clinton’s. Quite an impressive record there. Even Strom Thurmond was jealous. At the dramatic conclusion of the hearing, he appeared on the steps of the Capitol in kilts, with bagpipes blasting away to a strange version of “Be My Baby,” announcing in a thick Scottish accent that Bill Clinton was innocent of the charges after reading the Treaty of Aberdeen. I was watching it on TV in Julian’s Bar, and the crowds went ballistic in Mount Carbon that’s for sure.

Now Arlen has a fight on his hands. First he has to sink Admiral Sestak in the primary, then take on Toomey in the fall election. My money is on Arlen. He always seems to know how to reinvent himself. The political pundits said that Scott Brown was victorious in the recent Senate race in Massachusetts due in large part to his Cosmopolitan centerfold publicity. Cosmopolitan, you all know, is the second highest read magazine in the country, right after AARP’s magazine. I think it is called AARP The Magazine. So easy to remember. It's pronounced aaarrrr-pa.

Sure enough! Arlen did not waste anytime to reinvent himself once again.
He's morphing into Scott Brown. I just got my February edition of AARP the magazine, and lo and behold who is the newest Centerfold winner? You guessed it. Pandering to the state's large (enormous) senior citizen voting bloc, no less? So what. I had gone down to the local betting parlor and wagered on Betty White being the centerfold. I might as well have thrown my money into the hole in the ground at Norwegian Street near the old bus terminal. Don’t underestimate the tenacity of this guy. He will do anything to get reelected. I’m going back down to the betting parlor and place ten dollars on ol’ Arlen in the fall. How about yous?

No comments: