Friday, July 4, 2008

Clamtown Races







The Clamtown ladies sing this song
Doo-dah! Doo-dah!
The Clamtown racetrack's five miles long
Oh! doo-dah day!

I grew up with this Stephen Foster song ringing in my head, over and over again…doo-dah…doo-dah…oh! doo-dah day! With gas price spiraling as I predicted to seven dollars a gallon by Labor Day, I thought it best to head over to Clamtown right away. Gas prices go up almost hourly, so it is cheaper to ride to Clamtown now and rent a room for a night or two. My destination is the Clamtown Racetrack, just west of Tamaqua.


I want to visit the Clamtown racetrack, I want to watch my horse win, place or show and more importantly I want to see the Clamtown ladies that I heard about. Oh! doo-dah day!

Goin' to run all night
Goin' to run all day
I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
Somebody bet on the gray

It would be my last ride in the old reconditioned wienermobile that I purchased years ago at a Blum auction. While it certainly is a more attractive “babe magnet” than a Hummer, it uses too much gas, which I just can’t afford anymore. I will take if for its last ride over to the Clamtown Races. Oh! doo-dah day!


Oh, the long tailed filly and the big black horse,
Doo-da, doo-da
Come to a mud hole and they all cut across,
Oh, de doo-da day

I never had much experience with horses. My experiences with horses were limited to riding “Flying Horses” at Lakewood Park and wearing a rented horse costume from Gombar’s. I do however own both the Mr. Ed DVD Collector’s Edition Set as well as America’s album “A Horse With No Name.” I realize that none of the above makes me a proficient equestrian, but I always enjoyed placing a wager on a horse even if the horse was a wooden one on the Lakewood Carousel. That is why I am heading over to the Clamtown races. Oh! doo-dah day!


Goin' to run all night
Goin' to run all day
I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
Somebody bet on the gray

I bought a horse earlier this year when I decided to go green. I still try to conserve energy. For instance I keep my television on the lowest setting, watching WNEP’s Noreen Clark and Joe Snedeker most of the time. It is Channel 16 but 2 on the dial. However, I needed to take the next step towards energy independence; anyone can recycle old Yuengling cans, but it takes a real man to go out and buy a horse! That is a real commitment, like a marriage. That doesn’t mean I gave up driving altogether. I use the horse for essential local transportation such as picking up the “Saw III” DVD at Hollywood Video or a slice of pizza at Roma. Horses have maintenance costs, more than I originally thought. More costs than associated with a marriage. To recoup my investment I decided to race my horse once or twice and the five mile long Clamtown Racetrack seemed the ideal location. At first he was so slow that the jockey kept a diary of his trip, but he has improved a lot. I credit it to the galloping back and forth to Roma for the pizza slices.

I went down there with my hat caved in,
Doo-da, doo-da
I came back home with a pocket full of tin
Oh, de doo-da day

When I arrived at the Clamtown racetrack the crowds were already thick with revelers. Yes, the Clamtown races involve many traditions that surround the race itself. For instance, the Clamtown women were there, appearing in fine outfits, wearing the finest elaborate hats on their heads, munching on Heisler Dairy waffles and Leiby pies simultaneously. While I normally limit my consumption at outdoor festivities to funnel cake, bean soup and bleenies, I make an exception on Clamtown Race Day. That is when I join the others and partake in waffles covered with fresh Lewistown Valley butter, strawberry jam and syrup. All washed down with ice cold Yuenglings. Oh! doo-dah day!

Goin' to run all night
Goin' to run all day
I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
Somebody bet on the gray

My horse’s name is Super Skook by the way. I had him shaved to cut down on wind resistance. Please root for him to win the Clamtown Race.
Oh! doo-dah day!

No comments: