Friday, February 1, 2008

The Rise and Fall of the Going My Way



“Say it ain't so Mike.”





That was my thought when I read the news that the city of Pottsville is planning to demolish 521 North Centre Street, the home of the legendary "Going My Way Bar." From the standpoint of historic preservation it will be one of the largest cultural disasters in the history of Pottsville. Some say that it will surpass the destruction of The Academy of Music, The Hippodrome and The Capitol Theatre all rolled into one. While I wouldn’t go that far, I do know many have fond memories of the G.M.W. and wish it would reopen.



To further investigage I went down to the Historical Society and read up on their impressive collection of the history of the go go movement in the county. I then walked around Centre Street and interviewed dozens of pedestrians, getting their comments on this crisis:

"I'm speechless."


These are the words of one old lounge lizard who frequented the bar which featured semi-clad or topless dancers during Pottsville's swinging '70s. Incidentally, he was still dressed in his finest polyester leisure suit at the time of this interview.

"bummer, man."


One aging baby boomer lamented that he had fond memories of listening to “Brown Sugar” and “Black Magic Woman” on the juke box while enjoying the talented dancers after his return from ‘Nam. He remembered that the place had a german shepard behind the bar. Pottsville's own canine bouncer.

“I think that the we should band together and try and renovate it."

Yes many do-gooders walking north on Centre Street, linking arms and singing Kumbaya, stopped and told me that we need another Sovereign Majestic-type fundraiser to preserve this part of the city’s go go history. Where is PADCO when you need it?

"It was my sanctuary from all of the turmoil in my house.”
These words were repeated over and over again when I interviewed random husbands.

“Saw it seven times when it played at the Hollywood. I took me mother. God bless her soul."



Apparently this gentleman got the question confused and thought I was asking about the Bing Crosby movie, "Going My Way" of 1944 where Bing ,playing the role of Father O’Malley, sang, “Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra.” The juke box at the G.M.W., fortunately, did not carry that Irish lullaby. "Brown Sugar" but not "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra."

“There is something un-patriotic about an exotic dancer wearing anything… anything made in China.”
Many of the city labor leaders are still nostalgic and weepy eyed, not only over the loss of the NFL title in 1925, but also over the loss of the garment industry in Pottsville. The whole United States for that mattter. They reminisced about a time when clothing, even skimpy, skanky attire, was made locally. Now all of these hot pants and other trashy clothes are made overseas and shipped to America for our young, teenage girls to buy.

"The loss of both the occupational privilege taxes paid by the dancers and the city business privilege taxes was devastating to the city. "
Those were the words of many who watch over the city coffers.

“I remember seeing my first pole dancer there.”
Was her name Rita Pisarcik? Was she from New Minersville or Girardville? He wasn't sure. Neither am I. Farewell "Going My Way." Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra.

No comments: